Thomas A. Edison opened its doors to children for the first time in January, 1931. Edison was constructed as a result of two deteriorating schools, Garfield School and Jackson School. In 1928, the Board of Education placed a bond issue before the voters asking to replace the two buildings and the issue passed overwhelmingly. At a board meeting on March 10, 1930, the Superintendent of Schools recommended that the Garfield-Jackson School be named Thomas A. Edison School after Thomas A. Edison and his great contributions to the public community.
At the time of opening, Thomas A. Edison School serviced students in grades 1-7. Each grade occupied one classroom and was made up of about 45 students per class. By the mid-1950s, increased enrollment found the school busting at the seams and a three-story addition was built. The addition included all rooms East of the gym on all three floors and the playground was paved for the first time.